August 3, 2010

Superman Writer Tom Mankiewicz Passes Away

The Hollywood Reporter reported that Tom Mankiewicz writer of Superman I & II passed away on July 31. He was 68. As a screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz was instrumental in helping to bring the Man of Steel to the big screen.

Upon learning the news of the death of Tom Mankewicz, Ilya Salkind immediately called Dick Donner because he knew how close Dick and Tom were. Ilya's official statement is the following:

"I am deeply saddened by the premature and sudden loss of one of the best writers I've worked with, Tom Mankiewicz. He was an extraordinarily talented and gifted writer who's involvement in Superman I and II was essential. He was also a very kind and loving person that will sorely be missed. His great mastery writing film screenplays made working with him an unforgettable experience. He had a great sense of humor, and wit,and was a lovely person to work with. He also, of course, had a tremendous unique gift writing film screenplays. I can only wish my most heartfelt condolences to his family as well as all the many friends that he had and that loved him."  - Ilya Salkind (Executive Producer, Superman I-III)

No comments: